Keep fire safety at home in mind and don't neglect candles and other naked flames. Fires can be caused quickly by candles or matches, with potentially tragic consequences.


Reduce risk of fire

The flame from a candle can quickly set fire to a nearby curtain or clothing if it’s placed too close or gets knocked over.

It can lead to damage to property and personal belongings, or even loss of life.

There are simple steps that can be used to keep you and your loved ones safe:

  • never leave lit candles unattended – it's important to put burning candles out when you leave a room and make sure they’re completely out at night before you go to bed
  • make sure that candles are on a stable surface away from flammable objects such as curtains, furniture, bedding, books and magazines
  • do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare
  • when using tea lights and scented candles, always make sure they are placed in a heat-resistant holder, as the metal base can reach very high temperatures
  • if cooking a meal, don’t leave your cooking unattended 

Make sure that your smoke alarm is working and test it regularly.

It's also important to be aware of your escape route at home if a fire was to occur.


Home Fire Safety Check

Those most at risk from death or injury from accidental fires are:

  • people aged 50 or older
  • people who have a disability, impaired mobility or a health condition that would affect their ability to be aware of or respond to an emergency in the home
  • people who get assistance from a visiting agency on a regular basis to help with day-to-day tasks

That’s why Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service is offering anyone who falls into one of these categories a free Home Fire Safety Check

Firefighters will install or check that smoke alarms are working, help to identify any obvious dangers, and advise on an escape plan.

Always remember that if a fire starts, get out, stay out and call 999. Remember your life is worth more than precious belongings.